What is a Compassionate Palliative Care Community?
The framework of a Compassionate Community recognizes that care for one another at times of crisis and loss is not a task for only health and social services but everyone’s responsibility.
This public health initiative is
• Be inclusive of all ages, from children to seniors, providing a life-span approach to palliative care.
• Demystify death in hopes that we all become more comfortable with talking and planning for death.
• Provide support and palliative care earlier in the case of a terminal diagnosis.
Implementing the Compassionate
Communities model will encourage:
• Better preparation for caregiving, dying, death and grieving
• A feeling of empowerment and connection to community
• Improved mental health and quality of life.